NYU Students Outraged Over TikTok Quarantine Meals That Went Viral

• Some of these dorms don’t have kitchens+communal kitchens are closed. They can try to sloppily make stuff in an instantpot but they’re not allowed to leave their dorm so it would be difficult to get groceries

1. Oh chartwells! Thank god my college doesn’t have chartwells anymore. We got a new food vendor over the summer and I was nervous at first, but they are so much better!

• My school has chartwells, and we actually get real food lol. For dinner I just had a lil chipotle bowl they made; and last night we had sausage and pasta. It isn’t as fancy as expect but still a meal/good food. It varies from college to college how the food is handled

2. This is why you send your kid to collage with a whole bunch of MREs. Or other capabilities to prepare food. I’m glad I trust no one cause it’s kept me alive to this point

3. everybody outsources everything why do they not have a cooking staff …. do grade schools have a cook staff still .. they did when i was going just asking

4. Ummm how about doing something called getting up off your ass and going grocery shopping, now that is an option. Just because you are a student in quarantine it doesn’t mean you cannot mask up and drive, bus or walk to a grocery store

• ummmm… you do realize that they’re ACTUALLY quarantining. As in, not able to leave their dorms for two weeks so no, they can’t just “mask up and go out for groceries”.

• @Annette Melnychuk Also, NYU specifically requires first years and transfer students to pay for meal plans, so those particular students didn’t have a choice.

Even if it isn’t required, if anyone pays money for a service, they expect to get that service adequately at the scheduled time. It isn’t a question of “being too lazy,” it’s a question of getting what you paid for.

• @Samantha Chiamaka James well like I had there is grocery shopping which is nothing wrong with that! If I was complaining about something like this people would tell me straight up to put a sock in it and shut up! My opinion so leave it at that!

• If they’re not getting what they paid for (an adequate/reasonable amount of food that fits the dietary requirements they specified), they have every right to complain about it.
      I don’t know what NYU’s quarantine rules are and if the students aren’t allowed to leave for 2 weeks or not and if they can’t order in during that period.
      I’m someone who cooks most of the time (if I physically can). If I was unable to leave where I was to get things to cook and I had paid £2000, $2000 or however much on meals that I am barely getting or not getting at all, I’ll complain because I’m not getting my money’s worth. I’m not getting what I paid for. Even if I could order in or go out to purchase food, I still paid for something I’m not getting and i ought to speak up about that.

It’s different if you got enough food, but just didn’t like any of it. These students are getting inadequate amounts of food

• @Amy Hasson neither am I! All I can say is that these people who are complaining about the food on this meal plan, which I know are optional because I went to a college in a province in Canada, the country I am from and continue to live in that had student residence meal plans. Not very many students opted for the meal plans because of the expense so the ones who chose not to include a meal plan which was over half of the student went out with their dorm mates to the grocery store. I think these students should take a hard look at themselves and say do I really need to spend all this money and have someone else cook or should I save this money and go out with my dorm mates if applicable and go out and buy the food and altogether cook a wonderful meal for themselves

5. This is social media at its worst.
    People invited to comment on something they know very little about and which involved populations which are often made fun of and spoken about in a spitefully critical manner.

• @Annette MelnychukSome school are not letting them leave their dorms during the mandatory 2 week quarantine. AND on top of that communal kitchens are probably closed and these dorms don’t have private kitchens. If they knew this situation was going to be that bad then they could have illegally bring in an instant pot,etc to make their own meals but still unsanitary due to no access to water

• 👍 or do something called grocery shopping. $50.00 – $100 a week for groceries is a lot cheaper than $2000 a month for the school to cook for them

6. If my child got those meals , I would be pissed off. If your paying for you kids to eat , they better give them food ! A lemon is not something you eat plain . WTF.

7. this is ridiculous. these students are paying thousands of dollars in tuition and meal plans to only get watermelon chicken salads and granola bars.

• Not everyone who attends NYU is a trust fund student. I guess people on TikTok don’t realize some of these kids are on full scholarships from out-of-state.

• It’s easy a few boxes of MREs it ain’t perfect but it will fill you up and keep you going. Otherwise I would tell my kid it’s time to nope out and come home to go online or use a local community collage and demand a refund from NYU

• Smh they paid 2000 for a meal plan and a lemon and a granola bar for breakfast is unacceptable they paid for a service and shouldnt have to pay for something else because the college and the vendor want to save a few bucks

8. First world problems.

I know someone who killed himself because he was laid off. He was left with a wife and kid.. These people have the gall to complain.

• @Alexander Palmer It doesn’t matter if they are rich. They PAID for good food, and are treated like this!?? This is basic human decency. They deserve to eat a decent meal rich or not. Esp. so since they paid and are getting robbed.

• @Rachel Baidoo SOOOO! How about you stop arguing over stupid fucking suggestion because nobody is right or wrong! So how come online or in person grocery shopping triggering people like you? Grocery shopping gets you out of the apartment for an hour or two!🤘 Even if you had a meal plan delivered to you and you are not getting the quality or quantity you wanted instead of bitching about it how about going and doing something about it! I am certain that student residence at NYU have the internet and they do their grocery shopping online and have it delivered to them or else they can order take out if they didn’t get that pizza they wanted! No sense on arguing over a simple suggestion that could ultimately fix the problem!

9. Student: *is in quarantine*
    School: *sends them a granola bar and a single water bottle*
    Student: “Am I a joke to you?”